Mixedbredie came about after my web host upped and left the country and moved back to the sunshine in South Africa. This, along with an offer of an old server machine from Mangored, gave me the chance to configure a web-server myself and host my own site. After many hundreds of hours and many reinstalls, upgrades and late nights I have managed to set something up that works. It’s a little bit of everything from work to play, pictures and thoughts hence the name – mixedbredie – a bredie being a rich tomatoey stew with a mix of ingredients usually served on a mound of stywe pap (stiff maize meal porridge).
mixedbredie.net technical colophon
I always like to read the “about” pages on sites and blogs that I visit. I recently came across the term “colophon” to describe the more detailed “about” bits and pieces and I thought that I could do something like that too as it is really the “how this works” pieces that interest me. I spend more time fiddling with my development and test sites than the public web-facing one.
WordPress 3.0.4 served by Apache2 (with MySQL and PHP5) running on an Ubuntu home brewed server (8.04.4, 2GB 667MHz RAM, 2 x 160GB WD HDD in RAID1, Celeron 2.67GHz). I use WP 3.0.4 on a few other sites I host and I have a test site running WP beta at the moment. There’s a secure postfix/dovecot mail server in there as well to handle backup emails and notifications.
TwentyTen Child theme.
- WPG2 (going out of favour – discarded as an embedded gallery)
- Maintenance Mode (handy when trying to break the site)
- Security Scan (good for new installs and getting everything secured, then I turn it off)
- CHAP secure login (try to make the login process safer)
- WP DB backup (always a good thing)
- Now Reading Reloaded (customised to play with my K2 theme – lots of time went into tweaking this)
- Openbook (nice way to link into your book from the open library)
- Embedded Video (not used that much but best I have tried)
- Akismet anti-spam (essential)
- WP-Super-Cache (good for speeding up the site)
- Google Analytics (good for seeing how many people are not looking at mixedbredie)
Public key ID: 51F5E48F
—–BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
—–END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK—–