On my server running Ubuntu 12.04, I have Apache2 listening on port 8008 (20 virtual hosts) and Varnish on port 80. I use munin and monit to keep tabs on the various services running on the machine and they use the mod_status output to keep tabs on Apache2 processes. As mod_status is compiled into Apache2 by default and the module is enabled this means that the detailed information about your secure webserver is exposed for all the world to see. The mod_status configuation file allows you to lock access down to localhost access only which is nice.
However, Varnish connects to the backend Apache2 server as localhost and so exposes the server-status page to the wild wild web. With the Varnish VCL I was using my server-status page was cached for an hour so it was still available but only provided a static status report that changed when the cache refreshed. Implementing a solution from serverfault.com made the live server-status available through Varnish as it passed it to the backend. This did not help. To secure my server-status I had to block access to the server-status URL but still keep it open for munin-node. Continue reading Varnish cache, munin-node and server-status
Printer plugged into Server in the loft via USB. Desktop and Server connected by wired ethernet through Netgear router. Macbook connects through wireless.
Server runs CUPS 1.4.3, Macbook runs CUPS 1.4.7 and Desktop has CUPS 1.5.0.
Server is set up to share the Printer over IPP on port 631. Some machines can connect to http://server:631/ (i.e. the remote print server) and print a test page. The Macbook just connects but cannot print. All machines can connect to http://localhost:631/ (i.e. their own CUPS print server) and can see the remote Printer on the Server. Continue reading In My CUPS*
I have been running Linux Mint 10 for ages and have hacked and patched and updated it with various repositories to make sure it was reasonably up-to-date. The application I use most often on the desktop is DigiKam. The development of DigiKam has accelerated recently to the point of a new release almost monthly. The repositories are all trying to play catch-up. Some dedicated individuals are rolling their own .debs/.rpms for different flavours of linux. All you have to do is connect to their repository and install. But it is never that simple as the newer versions of DigiKam required newer versions of all the dependencies and a simple install ends up pulling in loads of different packages. In the end I gave up and stuck with version 1.9 as newer versions required an updated version of KDE and it was getting to be a hassle patching everything together. Continue reading Farewell Kubuntu Mint, Hello Fedora 16
The Ubuntu Community Documentation recommends the following steps when upgrading the Long Term Support (LTS) version of its server operating system. My server has been running 8.04 since April 2008 and has been a good and faithful server. However, the time has come to upgrade it to new versions of the server software. It is also an opportunity to completely clean out the accumulated cruft that happens when your development, test and live servers are one and the same.
So, what did I do?
upped the installed memory from 512MB 533MHz to 2048 667Mhz – single biggest improvement!
repaired and optimised all MySQL database tables for each site
disabled all unnecessary wordpress plugins
enabled WP-Super-Cache, a cacheing plugin to improve performance of popular pages, on all WordPress sites.
resized and optimised for web all photos in the photo galleries
installed the firefox add-on, YSlow, to my browser and used that to identify slow parts of the site.
enabled the Apache2 module, mod_deflate, to compress elements of the page before serving them.
I installed this the other day after running RC6 for a while and I wanted to see what improvements had been made. I used to run Nagios, Munin, Monit and AWstats on the server and they ground the machine to a halt.
rc6 picks up the server name and the internal IP address
rc8 picks up the apache virtual server name and the external IP address – changed with this line
rc8 has an additional theme – cream – although I still prefer the
rc8 has memory usage section expanded by default
rc8 flickers when expanding the PCI Devices list. rc6 is smooth.
The dynamic updating in rc8 seems to be faster / actually working. There also appears to be a lag in system uptime. The webmin front page and rc8 both match but rc6 is about 20 minutes behind. I had to do a lot more tweaking of the config file in rc8 to get it to work than in rc6. As far as I can remember I just unpacked rc6 and pointed the browser at the appropriate URL.
These are the settings that I had to change in config.php rc8 as I kept getting XML errors about the PSI plugins and UPS settings:
I have a Dell SK-8135 multimedia keyboard plugged into my Ubuntu Jaunty desktop. It’s the keyboard with a string of shortcut keys across the top and a large silver volume control knob. I have spent countless hours trying to get it to work over the last 4 years and just tonight did I think to twiddle it when Banshee delivered up a song that was too loud. Lo and behold! It actually works. And there is a volume notification in the top right of the screen to show me what’s happening. That’s what I like – something just working out the box like it should.